Friday, July 31, 2009

Surprise Cake!

My friend, Sarah R., is having a birthday on August 11, but we decided to throw her a surprise birthday party today (just to keep her on her toes!). Everyone will be headed different directions for the next few months as we start planning out our futures and important things like that, so I was pumped we could get together one last time.

Guess who volunteered to make a cake?! :)

Pam (the surprise-party-thrower) suggested something chocolate, or with cherries, so I found a delicious-sounding recipe for a chocolate/cherry cake that basically uses a can of cherry pie filling + almond extract instead of oil. The cake smelled AMAZING and it was hard for me not to chomp down on it right away.

I had originally planned to make a delicious frosting to put on the cake, then cover it up in fondant to make it all pretty. But after I made the decadent Hershey's Cocoa Frosting recipe, I decided I really couldn't cover up that deliciousness with a bunch of fondant. (and it was the icky fondant that you buy from Michaels, too, not even the yummier marshmallow kind)

So, what to do with all the extra fondant? Why not make a little Sarah herself?!

I think it turned out pretty delicious, and I'm going to wait to post this until after the party! :)
Pictures to come soon. Of this cake and the train cake, because I'm lame and forgot to post them.

No comments: