Thursday, February 25, 2010

Prom photos

Chris thought I should put up these pictures getting ready for med school prom. I'm apparently practicing to be a movie star. :) Unfortunately for everyone, Chris forgot to use his camera the rest of the night, so these are the only pics I have - I don't even have one of Chris! Oh well, a good time was had by all - you really can't beat dessert and dancing. :)



As you may know, I read a lot of food blogs. I'm sure that ups my dorkiness factor, but really, who am I trying to impress? I kept reading about this tomato sauce that seemed waaay too easy to be good. I eventually tried it, and I have to say - they were right. Chris told me just the other day that it was the BEST tomato sauce he's ever had, and ranks high on the best meals he's ever eaten. Ever! Can you guess what the secret ingredient is? It's not basil, garlic, or any of those silly seasonings. There are actually only three ingredients...I'll let you decide for yourself. I highly recommend you try this. Tonight. It's crazy.

28 ounces (one big can) whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano is apparently the best kind, if you can find them. I didn't use them the first time, but I found some later so I'll make it again and maybe let you know how it goes)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste.

That's all. You won't be sorry!

No comments: