Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Healthful Foods

For some reason, I've been on a real "healthy foods" kick. I think it comes with the change in weather and my desire to eat more fruits and veggies (rather than scarf down the heavy meat 'n' potatoes of the winter months). I've actually tried a few things that were surprisingly delicious!

1) Baked Kale Chips
This sounds disgusting, doesn't it? For some reason, I always thought kale must be like arugula or other spicy greens. I could also never seem to find it in the grocery store when I was looking for it. Apparently I can't read because Chris found it first try... Anyway... Basically all you have to do for kale chips is pull off the stems, rub them with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt. You bake them in the oven and they are ADDICTIVELY CRUNCHY! Little curly little crisps, that somehow remind me of roasted pumpkin seeds. I made a half batch yesterday and used the rest in soup (see below), but I'm already craving more. Weird, huh? I need to experiment with this method using spinach, too!
Fun Fact: Kale is not only delicious but also high in calcium, vitamin A, C, and K!

2) Kale and White Bean Soup
Since I had kale to spare, I threw it into soup. Would it make a slippery, slimy mess? No! It was delicious! I also threw some leftover pork tenderloin in the soup to make it extra yummy. It was an unbelievably good lunch, and left me really full without hardly any fat!

3) Finally, one-ingredient banana ice cream
Yes! I've been wanting to make this for quite some time but somehow never got around to it. We had some bananas that were turning brown so I peeled them, froze them, then blended them in my fancy Cuisinart food processor. You have to be patient, but after a couple minutes of blending they turn into a light, fluffy, not-too-banana-y frozen custard! So good! I need to try this with a touch of peanut butter or honey...although it's pretty darn good plain or with a squirt of Chocolate Magic Shell on top.

No comments: